Hi Mark,

Is it possible that you used to have coot set up to use the slow computer
settings and now you don't.

Try adding the slow computer configuration settings to your .coot file.

Information can be found at:

http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/~emsley/coot/doc/chapters/user-manual_8.html#SEC2
02

Good luck,
Eric
__________________________
Eric Larson, PhD
MSGPP Consortium
Department of Biochemistry
Box 357742
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Mark A. White wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know why COOT is suddenly as slow as molasses on my Fedora 12
desktop?  I had and old version of Coot working after my initial Fedora 12
install (from FC7 after a disk crash).  However, now all versions of COOT
have the same problem, very slow response and refresh rates.  It does not
seem to matter whether the directory is local or NFS, even before a PDB file
is loaded it slows to a crawl.  With a PDB file loaded the interface becomes
catatonic.  Centering takes several seconds.

Any idea what the problem could be?
COOT was amazingly fast on the same hardware with FC7, so it must be
Fedora12 specific. The glxgears speed seems slow to me.
#
COOT 0.6.1
coot-Linux-i386-fedora-10-gtk2-python/
coot-Linux-i386-fedora-12-gtk2/
coot-Linux-i386-fedora-4-gtk2/

COOT 0.4.1
coot-Linux-i386-fedora-5
#
Hardware
TYAN S2865A Tomcat K8E
Dual Core AMD Opteron 2.4GHz
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon RV530 (Radeon X1600pro)

kernel-PAE-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.7.4-1.fc12.i686

#
glxgears
8071 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1614.093 FPS
8105 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1620.857 FPS

Yours sincerely,

Mark A. White, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Dept. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
Manager, Sealy Center for Structural Biology and Molecular Biophysics X-ray
Crystallography Laboratory,
Basic Science Building, Room 6.660 C
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77555-0647