After having seen many Na+ ions very likely correctly built and refined and
many potential Na+ sites with
a very clear indication that the bond valence sum is already on the border
of being water and being an ion
I would say that Na+ binding in proteins happens quite often and probably
escapes "unobserved" by which I mean that
we do not notice because it simply is not so clear in so many cases.

If one assumes the very likely alternative of Na+/water alternative
occupancy it muddles the distances sufficiently for us not to be able to say
a clear YES or NO. I sometimes wish we had a "sodium detector" for such
structures ..

Jan

--
Jan Dohnalek, Ph.D