Nick,

there was a discussion of this three weeks ago.  Check this thread

http://www.mail-archive.com/ccp4bb@jiscmail.ac.uk/msg14133.html

I still maintain the view that appropriately tight restraints are the
way to go and not the grouped B-factor refinement (at least not the way
it is currently implemented).

As for weight optimization, you should probably stick with traditional
"minimize-the-R-free" approach.  Or take some high resolution structures
refined with refmac and check in the "ISOTROPIC THERMAL FACTOR
RESTRAINTS" section to see what RMS is expected and then choose weights
to match it.

Cheers,

Ed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore