Dear Micheal and Matthew:
Thank you for your inputs on the structure-function analysis data.
As pointed out by Micheal - the change in Km (For Met to Ala mutation)
is not much. Could this be intepreted simply that the mutation does not
change the affinity of the enzyme for the substrate because a smaller side
chain (ala) would not obstruct, if not facilitate, the placement of the
substrate. However, a slight increase in Km would suggest a larger side
chain (met) is needed to guide and position the substrate optimally? This is
further supported by a decrease in Vmax.
I would assume, the Vmax values calculated at lower concentrations of
substrate, as used in kinetic analysis, are generally not accurate (as
opposed to that Km values at lower concentrations of
substrate are considered fairly accurate). However, the general trend of the
kinetic analysis showed that the Vmax for the Met to Ala mutation decreased
significantly. To verify this, independant assays ( as a separate
experiment) were performed for the wild type and mutant under identical
conditions with saturation concentration of the substrate. Here, the
differences in the Vmax for the mutant and wild type were magnified as
indicated by a 15 % residual activity for the Met to Ala mutation.
On the other hand, Matthews seems to suggest that the differences are not
significant. Would a 85 % loss in activity at saturating concentration (6.7
fold decrease) considered insignificant? This could be more to do with the
sensitivity of the assay. However, since the experiments were conducted
under identical conditions, wouldn't these differences be real and
significant?
I truly appreciate your time and valuable suggestions :>
Sincerely,
Deepak
  .

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:34 AM, R. M. Garavito <rmgarav...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  Deepak,
>
> The changes you see are not huge and could be in the noise.
>
> > 1. Km increased by 0.5 fold -- not much of a change
>
> These seem to be a little inconsistent as Vmax = kcat*[E]:
>
> > 2. Vmax decreased by 3.5 fold
> > 3. Kcat decreased by 4 fold
>
> These are not too different.
>
> > 5. Activity at saturating concentration of substrate - only 15 % of the
> wild type. (a 6.7 fold decrease)
> As activity at saturating concentration of substrate is Vmax, why is it so
> much lower?
>
> Did you use the same enzyme concentration for the experiments (most protein
> assays are not particular accurate and are variable)?  Did you benchmark [E]
> with A280 measurements?
>
> Did you repeat the kinetic analysis of the WT enzyme along with the mutant
> (using the same buffers and reagents)?
> Even slight differences can arise between two kinetic trials a month or two
> apart just due to differences in buffers and reagents (age, slightly
> different pH, etc).
>
> Were the temperatures of the assays the same (did you use a thermostated
> cell)?
>
> Moreover, in choosing the amount of enzyme to use, it must be in the "valid
> range" to get good data.  This means that  Vmax = kcat*[E] must hold.  The
> valid ranges for the WT and mutant enzymes may not be the same.
>
> At this point the mutant seems not to have made much of a change.  Repeat
> the analyses back to back to get more data.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Michael
>
>  ******************************************************************
> *R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.*
> *Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology*
> *513 Biochemistry Bldg.   *
> *Michigan State University      *
> *East Lansing, MI 48824-1319*
> *Office:**  **(517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125***
> *FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  garav...@msu.edu*

Matthew Merski to me
show details 5:18 AM (3 hours ago)
No, these data show only small changes in the activity of the enzyme (less
than an order).  Typically you want to see something with at least 10^4 fold
effects to be sure it matters and really you should see something like loss
of 99% of the activity to start arguing for an effect.  The Met to Ala
mutation is probably perturbing the active site a little since the shapes
are different, but not doing much else. The differences you see are not
large enough that you can't honestly rule out experimental error as their
cause, especially if you are using literature data for the WT values or the
two measurements were performed by two different people.
Methionine acting like a nucleophile would be unlikely enough that I would
call it impossible.
Matthew Merski
UCSF
Shoichet Lab