You can only carry them with you if they fit in a sealed plastic bag :-)

My last trip with crystals in trays was from Seattle to Berkley couple of years
ago. I placed the trays simply in a small styrofoam box, well padded and with a
cryo pad. You will need to open the box but it helps to tell them what they
will find. The cryo pad might be an issue perhaps.

Jürgen

On Apr 6, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Arthur Glasfeld wrote:

> Sorry for an off-topic, out-of-date concern. Also, I'm almost certain
> this has been discussed before, but my search of the archives didn't
> turn up anything.  I am flying to a synchrotron this weekend and
> would like to hand-transport some crystal plates.  Does anyone have
> any recent experience with the TSA that might make this an easier
> task?  Is it even possible any more?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice that can be provided.
>
> Arthur Glasfeld
> Department of Chemistry
> Reed College
> 3203 SE Woodstock Blvd.
> Portland, OR 97202
> USA

-
Jürgen Bosch
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Johns Hopkins Malaria Research Institute
615 North Wolfe Street, W8708
Baltimore, MD 21205
Phone: +1-410-614-4742
Lab:      +1-410-614-4894