Hi,
i'm not sure if you try just seeding in your original condition. If yes, you
could try matrix seeding. Another option would be addtitves or the silver
bullets from McPherson. Sometimes sitting drop vs. hanging drop make a
difference.
Mutations at the surface are quite often an excellent alternative to get new
crystal forms.

Christian