Use bond command

bond atom1, atom2

once you do that, any subsequent line and stick renderings will connect
the atom1 and atom2 (you can right-click on the corresponding atom to
see their full string representation).  I assume you are trying to do
something like this

http://tinyurl.com/y2cdezj

In this figure, metal ion was connected to its ligands by lines, not
sticks.  Lines become thicker once you do ray-tracing.

If you want to remove the connection, use the unbond command on the same
atoms.

HTH,

Ed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore