Couldn't they simply be too thin?  After all, unit cell dimensions are
routinely about 0.01um, so if these needles are only fraction of a
micron thick, there is simply not enough material for diffraction.

Nice looking but non-diffracting protein crystals are too disordered
(i.e. while packing is present, there is no long-range spatial
correlation among individual unit cells).

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore