The opinionator piece is misleading about the meaning of probability,
especially as it implies that you could reformulate every problem into one
about frequencies.  As was pointed out a long time ago by Harold Jeffreys and
repeated by Ed Jaynes,

"The essence of the present theory is that no probability, direct, prior, or
posterior, is simply a frequency" -- H. Jeffreys (1939)

"... a probability is a theoretical construct, on the epistemological level,
which we
assign in order to represent a state of knowledge, or that we calculate from
other probabilities according to the rules of probability theory. A frequency
is a property of the real world, on the ontological level, that we measure or
estimate. So for us, probability theory is not an Oracle telling how the world
must be; it is a mathematical tool for organizing, and ensuring the consistency
of, our own reasoning." -- E.T. Jaynes[1]

There are lots of simple problems you will not be able to reason correctly if
you assume a probability is a frequency (e.g. Bernoulli's Urn). Not every event
can be repeated a large number of times such that a frequency is obtained. This
difficulty has often pushed "frequentists", to be confused between the result
of measuring one thing many times and the result of measuring many things one
time.  For example, one could ask, by what basis do you draw a conclusion from
the few that were surveyed to the millions that were not?

Monitoring 1000 women and finding that 0.8% of them get breast cancer, tells
you nothing about the health of the patient standing in front of you! Unless
you have some other prior information linking the one to the one-thousand. What
is really relevant would be to measure the one patient many times, but this is
not always possible.

I find that Jaynes book on Probability Theory[2] is THE definitive guide on how
to teach it. For the less mathematically inclined, Chapter 1, which is freely
available[3] online as a PDF is very readable and eye-opening.

[1] Jaynes, E. T., 1989, `Clearing up Mysteries - The Original Goal, ' in
Maximum-Entropy and Bayesian Methods, J. Skilling (ed.), Kluwer, Dordrecht, p.
1;

[2] http://www.amazon.com/Probability-Theory-Logic-Science-Vol/dp/0521592712

[3] http://bayes.wustl.edu/etj/prob/book.pdf