Dear Colleagues,
Thankyou, James, for a most interesting and extensive summary. There is not
much more to add.

In my view microgravity has provided benchmarks for protein crystal
perfection against which earth based crystal growth results can be compared.
Also the general principles of crystal growth, and the concept of the
depletion zone around a growing protein crystal in particular, have improved
understanding for this field in my view. The resulting crystal quality also
posed considerable characterisation challenges to people like me in the
specialty of crystal perfection assessment. This latter was an interest I
developed arising from characterising my beamline Si and Ge monochromator
crystals.

Gels and much smaller crystallisation drop volumes have indeed proved to be
competitive in the end with microg for protein crystal growth. Also the use
of magnetic and electric fields, separately or together, also provide a most
interesting technology for further development of earth based protein
crystal growth techniques. The reduction of entropy of amino acid side
chains through molecular biology mutagenesis has also proved important and
effective.

Re developing of business plans, Jack, I think there are now quite a variety
of methods which can be explored, as I mention above, before turning to
space based methods to interest Pharma companies. Interestingly there was a
distinct difference between Europe and the USA re microg protein crystal
growth. In Europe I would say that we always saw the emphasis to be on
fundamental understanding of microg protein crystal growth and crystal
perfection. In the USA both fundamental research and sales to Pharma
companies seemed to be promoted simultaneously.

Best wishes,
John
Prof John R Helliwell