On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:07 PM, intekhab alam <faisal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I solved one structure of a viral RNA polymerase in complex with some
> ligands at 2.6 A resolution. The ploymerase structure has 3 monomers in the
> asymmetric unit and in all the 3 monomers i found  |Fo|-|Fc| as well as
> 2Fo|-|Fc| map for the ligand. I tried to model my ligand there and after
> putting that some naegative density propped up outside the 2Fo|-|Fc| map and
> also the postive density inside the 2Fo|-|Fc| map didnt disappeared
> completely at 3 sigma (although it is reduced significantly). I tried
> putting metals and other things there but most of the positive density is
> gone only when i put my ligand there. Besides these the ligand fits well
> only in one of the three chains at 1 sigma while in rest two it is around
> 0.8 sigma of |Fo|-|Fc| map. I measured the B factor and findout that the B
> and C has higher B facors (33) as compared to A (29). can anyone suggest me
> about how to improve or fine tune my map around the ligand so that i can get
> rid of this positive and negative density (i already have tried different
> binding modes.

Try refining the occupancy of the individual ligands - they might just be
poorly ordered, but it's not uncommon to have partial binding.  I don't know
if Refmac does this, but SHELXL, CNS, or phenix.refine will.  You could
probably approximate this manually too (for instance, just change it to 0.8
for ligands B and C, and recalculate maps), but it's usually less work and
more accurate to let the refinement program do it for you.

-Nat