Hi Hannes,

We have recently had a batch of phage contamination - one of the
symptoms was exactly as you described, when pelleting the cultures, a
smeary, fluffy pellet appeared. The other symptoms we had were that
during growth, the OD would rise up until ~0.5, then drop, a foam
would develop on top of the media (that remained upon standing) and if
you examine the flask by eye there are ~2 mm strands floating around
in the (almost clear) media.

We found that this occurred (apparently) randomly within batches of
the same media (using the same starter culture, same aliquot of
antibiotics, IPTG etc), which ruled out a problem with the central
media kitchen. After asking around, we found that other people in our
building had experienced similar problems. The general consensus was
that there was probably some airborne phage floating around in the
incubator, which was getting in when flasks were open.

At that point we made sure that we never opened our flasks in the
incubator, so every time we do an OD or need to open the flask, we
remove it, bring it back to our lab (a different room) and open it
under a flame. Since then we have not had a single flask die.

Although it is a bit of a pain to have to remove flasks every time you
take an OD or induce, it is less of a pain than watching your media
slowly die (especially if you like doing NMR, and have expensive
multiple-labelled media...)

Best Regards,

Tom

--