Dear all,

We have tested the Charge Flipping algorithm with SUPERFLIP program
on various experimental data (anomalous delta-F's, MAD FA's).

see http://www.cbs.cnrs.fr/SP/crystal/SUPERFLIP/
& Dumas, van der Lee, Acta Cryst D64, 864-73
In all successfull trials, a good quality substructure is obtained.
As outlined below, the main requirements are good completion and high
quality experimental data!
This is a relatively new approach and there's still room for
improvement.

> Francis E Reyes wrote:
> Orthorhombic C2221 using SUPERFLIP heavy atoms are found, ...
> but the SG is wrong.

Yes, this is the most probable diagnostic hypothesis. It looks like
you have missed a space group. This ambiguity can arise with twinning, NCS
in special position,... I had a similar case for Se substrcture
solution using SUPERFLIP with data indexed as C2221, where P21 lattice
approximates C2221.

SUPERFLIP (http://superflip.fzu.cz/) can try to derive the symmetry
operations of the P1 charge flipping density, independently of the symmetry
entered in the input file (see Palatinus, J; applied cryst, 41,975-84)

Restart a new job using the keyword  derivesymmetry:
the list of symmetry operations, centering vectors will be
displayed (with agreement factors) in the .sflog file

-'derivesymmetry no'
the output density is in P1, no shifting or averaging
or
-'derivesymmetry use'
shifting and averaging the output density.

If you send me the inputs and sflog files I will have a closer look.

                     Christian.
--
Christian Dumas,
Centre de Biochimie Structurale,

George M. Sheldrick wrote:
> I have also played with charge flipping and my experience was the same as
> Kevin's. Michael Woolfson once said that all 'direct' methods work fine
with
> perfect data. The method requires expansion of the data to P1 which seems
> to degrade the quality of the solution; when the data are noisy, as is
> usually the case with real anomalous differences, the space group can be a
> useful constraint, as is the number of sites expected. If necessary one
> can easily run the usual programs in all potential space groups. For the
> solution of small molecule structures using atomic resolution (say 0.9A)
> native data, the data are much less borderline and charge flipping in P1
> is a good way to explore phase space.

> Another reason why charge flipping may not work so well with real
> anomalous differences is that the data tend to be rather incomplete,
> for example all the centric reflections are missing. This degrades
> the quality of the resulting maps, which is more serious if you are
> modifying low densities than when you are just searching for peaks.

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,