Hi Brennan,

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/index.php/SGI_O2

There is official Linux support for the O2 in Debian 4.0 "Etch" as
well as in Gentoo but only for R5000/R7000 O2s. Linux is not stable on
R10000/R12000 CPUs due to a known issue with the way they handle
speculative loads and stores, detailed here. This is not a problem for Linux on
the Octane as there is different hardware to support these processor features.
O2 hardware currently not fully supported by Linux:

 R10K or R12K processors.
 CRM Accelerated Graphics (framebuffer only)
 Sound (ALSA driver exists in Linux-MIPS tree, currently under development)
 Video capture via SAA 7111 (Linux driver exists for the chip)
 ICE (experimental patches exist)

Installing Linux is made more difficult due to the O2's PROM being
unable to read ISO9660 filesystems. Gentoo has an experimental SGI
bootable X Live CD.
Please read the README for details on supported machines (the O2 is one
of many SGIs supported), the level of support, and how to burn the CD
as it is not a typical ISO image. Additionally, there is a project to
create Linux bootable CDs here
if you want to roll your own. However, the more common procedure is to
use a 2nd computer as a PXE boot server and netboot an installer.
Details on using a Debian minimal netinstall image can be found here.

SSSRaj

http://www.careforlearning.org

Let us make learning a fun to everyone