Hi Joy,

Yes, I agree that it is very difficult to distinguish those and it is even more
difficult to put it in words or in writing: experts have been talking about
shininess, transparency (rather than brown colour) and birefringence as far as
I know. All these methods have some grain of truth in them, yet none is as
simple let alone as accurate as we would like to believe. So, it seems to me
that the only way to distinguish is what I would call the "operational" way,
i.e. to streak seed from that precipitate into a couple of drops set at very
similar conditions but that are just below the spontaneous nucleation level of
supersaturation: if something grows along the streak line, the precipitate was
microcrystalline. However, if it doesn't, that doesn't mean that it was not
microcrystalline? Dilemma?

Another interesting question that you are raising is what are quasicrystalline
or "ordered precipitates" really worth, in terms of ultimate success near the
relevant conditions...

Finally, how about these fluorescent pens? I have not had a chance to use one
of these, but my feeling is that they would only really work on good-sized
crystals. It would be very interesting to hear members' experiences with these
on smaller stuff.

Best,

Emmanuel