From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Simon
Kolstoe
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:05 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Another scaling question

Dear CCP4bb,

I am still playing around scaling two datasets together and have noticed
another interesting behavior in scala. If I scale all my data (from 1.5A to
51A) I get 100% completeness in my outer shell, 98% in my inner shell and
99.9% overall, stats that I am normally quite happy with. I tend to also
look at the table in the log file which in this case reports above 98%
completeness in all shells between 1.5 and 4.7A. Rmerges are 0.054 overall
with 0.29 in the outer shell, which again I think is OK.

However I then ran scala again in an attempt to scale with the strongest
overlapping reflections in my two datasets, so limited the resolution to
between 15A and 4A. Now when I look at my completeness I get 97% overall,
but only 32% in the highest 15-12A shell! Is something funny going on in the
program or am I really missing 70% of my data in this resolution, and if so
how come the scala run with all the data doesn't report this? I am now
worrying that all the data I previously thought was complete might be
lacking many lower resolution reflection!

Thanks,

Simon