Self rotations can be helpful, but often are not! or worse stull are misleading.. It isnt worth spending a lot of time puzzling over them. Once you have solvedthe structure they become amazingly easy to interpret!

When you import intensity data to mtz, either via scala or other processing programs, you will have a message saying whether there is any non-cryst translation. If there is the molecules related bu the translation will be in the same relative orientation to the crystal axes and the self-rotation between them will be overlapped by the origin or a crystallographic symmetry operator.

Other problems - the molecules are randomly orientated relative to each other and since molrep only illustrates 2-folds 3-folds etc, you have no picture. However if you look at the peak list you may find something significantly above background.

The molecules have different structures.
It may help to do the self rotation ate relatively low resolution

 good luck Eleanor

Peter Grey wrote:
Dear Marie,

Look for peaks at your native Patterson map which might indicate
pseudo-translation NCS that can not be detected by self-rotation.

Peter.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Marie Lacroix <