From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of amit
sharma
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:09 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] heavy atom soak

Dear All,

In order to phase, I intend to derivatize my protein(30kDa)-DNA(7.2kDa) complex
with heavy atoms. I wanted to know which was the better way to do it:  longer
soaks at lower heavy atom concentration, or shorter soaks with higher
concentration of heavy atom. Also, what concentrations and time is generally
used in either case. The crystals came up in pH 6.0 buffer and the protein
contains 1Cys, 3Met and 3His residues.

I would appreciate any advice or link to the literature.

Many thanks in advance
Amit Sharma,
Postdoctoral Fellow,
Department of Biophysics,