From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Miller,
Mitchell D.
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 6:31 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Sftools and Phaser compatibility issues - continued

FYI --

The :h suffix for R3 is described in the IUCr symmetry cif (intl tables vol G
chapter 4.7) under _space_group.reference_setting where it states "For the
space groups where more than one setting is given in International Tables, the
following choices have been made. For monoclinic space groups: unique axis b
and cell choice 1. For space groups with two origins: origin choice 2 (origin
at inversion centre, indicated by adding :2 to the Hermann-Mauguin symbol in
the enumeration list). For rhombohedral space groups: hexagonal axes (indicated
by adding :h to the Hermann-Mauguin symbol in the enumeration list)."

http://it.iucr.org/Ga/ch4o7v0001/ch4o7.pdf
http://www.iucr.org/resources/cif/dictionaries/cif_sym

The H3 / H32 designations are PDB conventions/standards. In the PDB format
description it states that "For a rhombohedral space group in the hexagonal
setting, the lattice type symbol used is H."
>From an archive of the PDB documentation at the University of Washington,
>there is list of changes by PDB version that suggests that the PDB introduced
>the H designation with the release of PDB format v2.0 (sometime around March
>1997) see
>http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/CrystaLinks/man/pdb/guide2.2_frame.html
http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/CrystaLinks/man/pdb/part_6.html
The RCSB's archive of the 2.2 format gives a file not found error.
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/docs/format/pdbguide2.2/guide2.2_frame.html

Regards,
Mitch