Hi Ganesh,

two things I'd advise that might make a difference for you:

1. Improved media for better expression
        See "Protein production by auto-induction in high-density shaking
cultures" by W.F.     Studier Protein Expression and Purification 41 (2005)
207-234
        (there's also a recipes paper that you'll need to dig out)

        I've found that an LB based complex autoinduction media comprising of
LB supplemented   with the 50xm buffer mix, 50x 5052 carbon source mix, 1000x
metals, and MgS04 really    boosts expression levels every time (recipes are in
the Studier papers). If you don't   want to use autoinduction, just leave out
the lactose from the 5052 carbon source mix   and induce with IPTG as normal.
You should get a higher OD and probably higher protein  per cell.

2. Removing periplasmic materials prior to lysis might improve His-tagged
purification yields

        I saw this recently and am about to try it, but haven't yet. Anyway, it
may be useful in        your case. The principle is that you use osmotic shock
to take out materials in the     periplasm that bind / strip Ni columns and
reduce IMAC yields. After the shock step you         lyse and purify normally,
and in theory get better retention of your protein with less  contamination.
Full details in:

        "Enabling IMAC purification of low abundance recombinant proteins from
E. coli lysates"         nature methods | VOL.6 NO.7 | JULY 2009 | 477

        There is also a supplement to this on the nature methods website, which
you will need.

By combining the above you ought to obtain more of your protein to start with,
and then capture more of it on the IMAC first step, and hopefully with greater
initial purity. You should then be better able to clean it up further if need
be and still have something left to work with at the end.

Good luck,

John.

john.hi...@syngenta.com
www.syngenta.com