On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:34:30PM +0100, Ian Tickle wrote:
> Formally, a complex number (e.g. a structure factor) is not a vector.
Formally, C is isomorphous to R^2 (at least that's what math departments in
Germany teach, and it's not difficult to prove), therefore complex numbers are
vectors. That's is unaffected by whether there is a ring-isomorphism between C
and R^2, and it's correct that the elements of a field are usually not called
'vectors', but that does not mean that it is wrong to consider a complex number
a vector.

Tim

Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie