Because refining in the (right) higher symmetry space group leads to a
better model.

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 11:34 -0500, Jacob Keller wrote:

> I have heard many times that it is a black eye to refine in a
> lower-symmetry spacegroup, but I could never really understand why.
> The higher symmetry could be considered merely a helpful theoretical
> lens to improve signal-to-noise, and therefore imposing higher
> symmetry on the data could be seen as a sort of *leniency* of
> scientific (or at least empiric) rigor. I think similarly about using
> discrete spot intensities rather than the whole image--we assume Bragg
> conditions and neglect certain things about the image between the
> spots, which is usually valid, but not always. I wonder why it is
> considered maladroit to refine in a lower spacegroup, then--don't
> higher spacegroup impose more assumptions than p1?
>
> Jacob Keller

Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore
When the Way is forgotten duty and justice appear;
Then knowledge and wisdom are born along with hypocrisy.
When harmonious relationships dissolve then respect and devotion arise;
When a nation falls to chaos then loyalty and patriotism are born.