Where do I find documentation for csymmatch ?  Google is normally good
at finding program documentation (and sometimes code which is
infinitely better) but not in this case - I even tried spelling it
'csymatch' just in case!

I was just interested to know whether csymmatch tries all combinations
of matching A to A, A to B, A to C, B to C etc etc.?  That's what
people usually forget to do - i.e. they fail to observe the obvious
that NCS-related molecules are not created identical!

-- Ian

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Eleanor Dodson <c...@ysbl.york.ac.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>> assume it's a script, not a MS-DOS program!), but it doesn't matter, I
>> see the problem now.  AFAIK there isn't a script in CCP4 that will do
>> what you want entirely automatically, because it's actually quite a
>> complicated problem in the completely general case of N molecules per
>> a.u., though undoubtedly it could easily be scripted for the
>> relatively simple case of 2 mols per a.u..
>>
>> I'm assuming you don't simply want to superpose the molecules just for
>> structural comparison purposes, you want to superpose the entire
>> *crystals*, so that the calculated structure factors and hence the R
>> factors (values) remained unchanged for the transformed structure.
>> This means you can't use just arbitrary rotation/translation operators
>> as would be generated by superposition programs such as SSM, you have
>> to restrict it to crystallographically-allowed origin shifts.  There
>> are various programs which will do this, I wrote one called
>> 'reforigin' but there are others which will do the same thing, and
>> which have been mentioned in previous postings.
>>
>> So what you have to do is superpose the two 'A' molecules using
>> reforigin or whatever (remember, as long as it applies only
>> crystallographically-allowed origin shifts).  There is of course a
>> problem here: the chain ID 'A' is only an arbitrary label, so there's
>> a 50% chance that the molecule you called 'A' in structure 1 might be
>> called 'B' in structure 2 (and vice versa).  This means you have to
>> try both possibilities!  Now you see why it gets complicated in the
>> general case with molecules 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D' ... you have to try all
>> combinations!  While you are superposing A/2 on A/1 (or B/2 on A/1)
>> you must also transform the other chain B/2 (or A/2) using the *same*
>> operator (I think the program does this for you, or at least it will
>> print the matrix that was used for the 1st pair) - you must not
>> superpose it independently.
>>
>> Finally you need to transform the other molecule B/2 (or A/2) in the
>> example above.  For this you can only use space-group symmetry
>> operators - you get only one chance to use the allowed origin shifts
>> with the first pair of molecules, after that the origin is completely
>> determined for the entire structure, hence only space-group symmetry
>> can be used to transform subsequent pairs.  For this I find it easiest
>> just to view the structure on the graphics, work out which is
>> appropriate space-group operator and apply it just to the 2nd molecule
>> using PDBSET.
>>
>> Hope this is all clear - there are many traps here for the unwary!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> -- Ian
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Rojan Shrestha<ro...@riken.jp>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Ian:
>>>
>>> I am afraid that whether my problem is not clear to you.
>>>
>>> Here is brief description of the problem.
>>>
>>> When I tried to superimpose two structures having two or more copies in
>>> for polar space group using symmetric operator, for one copies it used