I'm all in favor of (rational) length limits for the text - almost everybody's
prose is easier to read when they've been forced to cut 10-20%.
However, some journals include references in the character limit, and that just
encourages unscholarly behavoir.
   Phoebe

Phoebe A. Rice
Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
The University of Chicago
phone 773 834 1723
http://bmb.bsd.uchicago.edu/Faculty_and_Research/01_Faculty/01_Faculty_Alphabetically.php?faculty_id=123
http://www.rsc.org/shop/books/2008/9780854042722.asp