Dear all,

We are currently considering buying a computer which can be used by multiple
people, via our existing network, as a workstation for crystallography
purposes. My thoughts are currently going towards a 8-core Apple Pro (or
12-core) with a lot of RAM, with OS X Server, which in theory should be able to
handle multiple (up to 4) users simultaneously running crystallography
software. The idea would be to have the users access this computer using their
own laptops (starting their own virtual sessions?) connected to the same
network.

Does this sound like a viable strategy, or should it be setup in a different
way? In that case how? Would it need advanced setup and maintenance, or would
it be possible to jsut set up a number of user accounts in OS X Server, and let
it run? I'm reasonably computer savvy, but haven't really done something like
this before, so I would very much appreciate your advice or personal
experiences regarding this matter.

I know that I could probably get a cheaper computer if I went for a pc with
linux, but I have more experience with OS X, and would therefore want to stay
with it.

Thank you in advance,
Ronnie Berntsson

Ronnie Berntsson, PhD
PostDoctoral Fellow
Department of Biochemistry
Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute
& Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials
University of Groningen
Nijenborgh 4, 9747 AG
Groningen, The Netherlands