From:    Michael Swan
Subject: rmsd calculation for all atoms.

Dear all,
I am having a bit of trouble finding a program to do an rmsd calculation and
give me the differences between all the atoms in the structures.
I have two structures which are identical in the sense that one is the apo protein and one is the bound structure. I would like to superimpose them using only one domain then output the rmsd values for all the atoms or at least individual residues. The structures are not completely identical as some extra residues were visible in the bound structure so I hope there is a
program that can ignore those differences.
If anyone knows of a program that will do this calculation I would much appreciate hearing about it. There seem to be many programs that will give
an average rmsd over the whole structure or just the region used for
alignment but I haven't found anything that will give me distances between
atoms or residues that were not used in the alignment.
Thanks,
Mike.

If the domain is an entire chain, you could use Chimera's MatchMaker tool to do the alignment:

http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/chimera/current/docs/ContributedSoftware/matchmaker/matchmaker.html

It will report that RMSD for the atoms used for matching. To get the RMSD for all atoms in common you would have to use the 'rmsd' command and specify the parts in common:

http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/chimera/current/docs/UsersGuide/midas/rmsd.html

So if all of chain A and residues 12-20 of chain B were in common, then:

rmsd #0:.a:12-20.b #1:.a:12-20.b

If there were differences in the side chains (say some were incomplete) then you might have to restrict the RMSD measurement to the backbone (which you might want to do anyway):

rmsd #0:....@c,ca,n:12-2...@c,ca,n #1:....@c,ca,n:12-2...@c,ca,n

--Eric

                        Eric Pettersen
                        UCSF Computer Graphics Lab