Dont forget all the "atomic resolution" 3Å structures!
From: Pavel Afonine [pafon...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:23 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Fwd: [ccp4bb] FW: [ccp4bb] Resolution and distance
accuracies

Hi,
creative language, you say... ha-ha. Go through this:

A number of publications define ultrahigh or subatomic resolution in the range
of 1.0–0.5A (Lecomte et al., 2008; Petrova et al., 2006; Howard et al., 2004;
Guillot et al., 2008; Housset et al., 2000).

Right? When you see ultra-high resolution, you can arbitrary pick any number
from 1 to 0.5A, and call it "ultra-high resolution", just arbitrarily.

What happens at lower resolution end is somewhat a bigger mess simply because
there is no such eye-catching names, so "super-resolution" looks just fine to
me - just to fill the gap, unless you know which numbers you mean.

And to know these numbers you probably need to carefully read this paper. Not
necessarily it will give you the numbers, but definitely the ideas to think
about:

Acta Cryst. (2009). D65, 1283-1291
On the use of logarithmic scales for analysis of diffraction data
A. Urzhumtsev, P. V. Afonine and P. D. Adams

Good luck!
Pavel.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Gerard Bricogne