Hi Kevin,

        We have 3 Olympus microscopes  with three different lighting options.
The three variations we have on our microscopes are:
 1. a microscope with a reflective light base (internal mirror) that reflects
light directed into the microscope base from an external halogen light-box.
 2. a microscope with an integrated, low-power (30 watt) halogen light source
(still has a mirror for the trans-illumination)
 3. a microscope with an LED light source

        In general, the LED light source in our microscope produces very little
heat so crystal trays should be safe for viewing for quite some time without
heating.  And, instead of a mirror, the base has a series of filters/diffusers
to modulate the intensity of the light directed through the sample, or a
"dark-field" filter.  That can be helpful.  However, the spectrum of light
output by our LED light source is very blue (as opposed to the warmer
"yellow-heavy" output from halogen or incandescent light sources).  I don't
like the "cold", blue tones of the light and find that it contributes to eye
fatigue.  I also find that this light doesn't offer as high a contrast for
viewing certain drop conditions.  By that I mean that I occasionally find drop
conditions for which I feel I can see differences in edge transitions or object
boundaries better using the microscopes with the halogen light sources (i.e.
comparing same drop with different microscope/light-source combinations).  This
doesn't happen often and does not dramatically affect my ability to rate the
drop, but it's notable to me.  In summary, I prefer alternatives to the LED
light sources, but my dislike of the output spectrum is a matter of opinion.
        NOTE: My understanding is that the "blue-heavy" spectral output of
white-light LEDs is a recognized property of LEDs (i.e. it's hard to achieve a
true white light with LEDs).  However, the ability to produce LEDs that have a
more natural spectra is improving and I know at least Olympus is very close to
offering such a version (more $$).

        With regards to polarizers, we just use "screw-on" polarizing filters
that attach to a channel/groove near the bottom of our objective lenses.  These
are convenient and inexpensive (works with any light source).  They won't,
however, fit on all objective lenses depending on the presence of the necessary
groove.

-Andy Torelli