From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of
Anastassis Perrakis
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 8:11 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Merging data to increase multiplicity

... but, back to the main point, my advice would be to only limit the
mosaicity, to get better completeness by avoiding overlaps.
Its not ideal, in the sense that you would be over-estimating the partial
fraction of most partial reflections, and thus systematically
underestimating intensities.
(I hope I got my overs and unders right here ...)

But these errors would not matter much for refinement purposes, where you
would rather have a slightly systematically wrong estimate
for all data, rather than not have the 15% of the data at all.

Or at least thats what I thought back in '99 refining MutS ... where I did
refine a lot with both datasets and liked the 'fixed mosaicity' one better.

A.