I see in the news that Ken Olsen has died.  Although he was
not a crystallographer I think we should stop for a moment to
remember the profound impact the company that this man founded
had on our field.

   My first experience in a crystallography lab was as an undergraduate
in M. Sundaralingam's lab in Madison Wisconsin.  While I never had
the opportunity to use them, his two diffractometers were controlled
by the ubiquitous PDP-8 computers.  I had more experience with his
main computer, which was either a PDP-11/34 or 35 (Ethan help me out!).
This was connected to a Vector General graphics display running software
called UWVG.  Having the least stature in the lab I got the midnight
to 4am time slot for model building.  The computer took about 10
minutes to compute and contour each block of map, covering about
three residues.  While waiting I would crawl under the DECwriter and
nap.  The computer would stop rattling when the map was up and that
would wake me.

   When I joined the Matthews lab in Oregon they had a VAX 11/780.
What an amazing machine!  It had 1 MB of RAM and could run a million
instructions in a second.  It only took 48 hours to run a cycle of
refinement with PROLSQ, that is, if no one else used the computer.
These specs don't sound like much but this computer was really a
revolution for computational crystallography.  That a single lab
could own a computer of such power was unheard of before this.
It wasn't just that the computer had so much RAM (We later got it
up to its max of 4 MB.) but the advent of virtual memory made
program design so much easier.  You could simply define an array
of 100,000 elements and not have to worry about finding where in
memory, mixed in with the operating system, utility programs, and
other users' software, you could find an unused block that big.

   Digital didn't invent virtual memory, but the VAX made it
achievable for regular crystallographers.  Through most of the 1980's
you didn't have to worry about getting your code to run on other
computers - Everyone had access to a VAX.

   In the 1990's DEC came out with the alpha CPU chip which really
broke ground for performance.  These things screamed when in came
to running crystallographic software.  In 1999 the lab bought
several of the 666 MHz models.  It was about four years before
Intel came out with a chip that would match these alphas on my
crystallography benchmark and they had to be clocked at over 2 GHz
to do it.

   Yes, Digital lost out in the competition of the marketplace, and
Ken Olsen was pushed out of the company well before the end.  But
what a ride it was.  What great computers they were and what great
science was done on them!

Dale Tronrud