Pseudo translation doesnt seem too much of a problem if the model is OK.
MOLREP uses it within the search, phaser seems not to mind too much for a general translation..

I dont know about pathological cases where the crystal is very near but not quite C centred, ie the translation is quite special like in this case with t = (1/2,0.~1/4)