Hi Patrick -

Just a thought: in a drop that's still equilibrating (i.e. one that's
actively nucleating/growing crystals), there will be convection currents,
caused by water diffusion out of the drop, protein switching from solution
to solid phase, temperature differences, etc.  These currents could
potentially carry micro-crystals with them until they get too big.

Another possibility: crystals are usually denser than their mother liquor,
and so tend to end up at the bottom of the drop.  The motion seen in the
movies could be caused by the micro-crystal nucleating at some random
position in the drop, then dropping to the bottom (or sliding down the
curved lower face of a hanging drop).  I haven't seen this movie myself, so
I don't know if this is a reasonable explanation of the motion.

- Matt

--

Matthew Franklin, Ph. D.

Senior Research Scientist