Kay,

Thank you for your explanation. The radiation damage was not the factor, but there was something strange about this crystal (actually two crystals had the same strange behavior). I could not process them in HKL2000, but it showed the problem (see pictures in the attachment). The processing in XDS was done at the CLS (Canadian Light Source). I know they always have the latest version of XDS.

Maia

Kay Diederichs wrote:
Maia,

provided radiation damage is not a major detrimental factor, your data are just fine, and useful also in the high resolution shell (which still has <I/sigma> of 2.84 so you could probably process a bit beyond 2.25A).

There is nothing wrong with R_meas of 147.1% since, as others have said, R_meas is not limited to 59% (or similar) as a refinement R-factor is. Rather, R_meas is computed from a formula that has a denominator which in the asymptotic limit (noise) approaches zero - because there will be (almost) as many negative observations as positive ones! (The numerator however does not go to zero)

Concerning radiation damage: First, take a look at your frames - but make sure you have the same crystal orientation, as anisotropy may mask radiation damage! Then, you can check (using CCP4's loggraph) the R_d plot provided by XDSSTAT (for a single dataset; works best for high-symmetry spacegroups), and you should also check ISa (printed in CORRECT.LP and XSCALE.LP).

HTH,

Kay

P.S. I see one potential problem: "XSCALE (VERSION December 6, 2007)" when the calculation was done 28-Aug-2009. There were quite a number of improvements in XDS/XSCALE since that version. The reason may be that a licensed, non-expiring version was used - make sure you always rather use the latest version available!

<<inline: Cell1.gif>>

<<inline: Distance1.gif>>