for an experimental way to determine soluble domains see the following paper:
ESPRIT: an automated, library-based method for mapping and soluble expression
of protein domains from challenging targets.
Yumerefendi H, Tarendeau F, Mas PJ, Hart DJ.
J Struct Biol. 2010 Oct;172(1):66-74. Epub 2010 Mar 4. Review.
PMID: 20206698 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mark J van Raaij
Laboratorio M-4
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC