Depending on what the expected activity is, its worth considering the
highly-depressing possibility that the activity seen in the impure sample was
due to impurities:  for example, barely-visible-on-a-gel chaperones can give a
nice ATP hydrolysis signal, and DNA ligases float about with an AMP covalently
attached, and thus can do one round of ligation with no ATP/NAD added to the
soup.
  Phoebe

Phoebe A. Rice
Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
The University of Chicago
phone 773 834 1723
http://bmb.bsd.uchicago.edu/Faculty_and_Research/01_Faculty/01_Faculty_Alphabetically.php?faculty_id=123
http://www.rsc.org/shop/books/2008/9780854042722.asp