Hi Dave,

We recently equipped a pool of 25 computers with Nvidia 3D shutter glasses, they're used in structural biology courses for undergraduate students of biochemistry . We teach mainly PyMOL, but (in an advanced course) also model building in COOT. Of course, we let the students decide whether they want to use hardware stereo or not. They all try. After several courses now I realized no more than 30% of the students keep using them in visualization and model building, while the majority of students put the glasses aside... Some of the 30% said, it helps, but could also do without. Haven't assessed this properly yet... ;-)

Christoph

David Roberts wrote:
Thanks for the comments, I do appreciate them. I guess we went off in a direction I wasn't thinking of - related to your personal like or dislike of stereo. What I am really looking for is an answer to a simple question in that is stereo a nice thing from a pedagogy standpoint for showing students complex biomolecules.

I am in a chemistry department - undergraduate only. We focus on 3-dimensional shape and the importance of shape of chemical function/reactivity/etc... With small molecules (PF5, etc...), it's easy to see how shape works by simply rotating the molecule. The molecules are small enough, the concept of 3D can be visualized easily in these systems. Furthermore, they can make a simple model using your standard organic or inorganic model kit, no worries.

Now, bring in a huge protein, or a protein-protein complex. The issue of 3Dness becomes fuzzier. It's not so easy to see which hydrogen will get plucked off during a chemical reaction, even with careful zooming and mouse manipulation. So my question still is, how many of you feel stereo is important from a pedagogy standpoint (not looking at maps, just structures that are huge and complex). Is it something that we need to try to bring to the classroom, or is it just a cool toy like the 3D TV that hopefully is going nowhere and will soon fade out like the viewmaster of old. I know a large percentage of people cannot see stereo (at least the way we present it), and so it isn't for everybody. But, does it help, and if so, does it help when done in a huge classroom or when put on an individual screen. Has anybody tried to assess this (there's a horrible word for you).

That's what I was wondering about. Presenting the stereo is a different issue (how is that done), but I think there are lots of avenues for that depending on your particular situation.

Thanks again

Dave