We don't have a problem getting them to stick to the plates in
serum-free media, or in 5% FBS media.  The more challenging part is
getting the plating density just right, too low and the plaques are
too big, to high and they are too small.  Or if the cells dry out, or
if your agarose overlay is too hot, etc...

However, we have actually stopped titering all together.  We find
early stocks (from co-transfection, or plaque purification) are 'low',
but after ~2 rounds of amplification in adherent culture of the 'low'
titer stock(using a large volume of low-titer virus in a t25 flask),
we can add ~0.5 ml to a 30-100 ml shake flask of Sf9's (serum free
media) and get a high titer stock( ie. >10^8 pfu/ml).  From there we
amplify with ~ 10 mls of virus in a 1 L shaker culture, and we have
our large volume high-titer stock.  Sometimes we will incubate the
cells in pure virus stock in a t25 flask for 1 hour, take the virus
off, and add fresh media, as a way to rescue low-titer stocks.

If you are just trying to titer (not plaque-purify), you can just take
10 fold dilutions of your virus, and do several small scale infections
in 6 well plates, 10 ml shaker cultures, whatever you prefer.   At the
lowest virus concentration where you see a synchronous infection
(judged by protein expression levels, or cell-diameter if you have a
cell counter, or by viewing with a trained eye), you call that an
MOI=1.  From there you know the number of cells in the plate, and the
volume of virus you added, so you can calculate an effective titer.
Plaque assays are really difficult and slow, and if you are just
trying to make protein, an effective titer is fine, the absolute
number isn't that helpful,
Nat

Nat Clark
Graduate Student
Garman Lab
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Dept.
UMass Amherst