The meaning of B-factor is the (scaled) sum of all positional
uncertainties, and not just its one contributor, the Atomic Displacement
Parameter that describes the relative displacement of an atom in the
crystal lattice by a Gaussian function.
That meaning (the sum of all contributions) comes from the procedure that
calculates the B-factor in all PDB X-ray deposits, and not from an
arbitrary decision by a committee. All programs that refine B-factors
calculate an estimate of positional uncertainty, where contributors can be
both Gaussian and non-Gaussian. For a non-Gaussian contributor, e.g.
multiple occupancy, the exact numerical contribution is rather a complex
function, but conceptually it is still an uncertainty estimate. Given the
resolution of the typical data, we do not have a procedure to decouple
Gaussian and non-Gaussian contributors, so we have to live with the
B-factor being defined by the refinement procedure. However, we should
still improve the estimates of the B-factor, e.g. by changing the
restraints. In my experience, the Refmac's default restraints on B-factors
in side chains are too tight and I adjust them. Still, my preference would
be to have harmonic restraints on U (square root of B) rather than on Bs
themselves.
It is not we who cram too many meanings on the B-factor, it is the quite
fundamental limitation of crystallographic refinement.

Zbyszek Otwinowski

> The fundamental problem remains:  we're cramming too many meanings into
one number [B factor].  This the PDB could indeed solve, by giving us
another column.  (He said airily, blithely launching a totally new flame
war.)