My name is Greg Costakes and I am a graduate student for Cynthia Stauffacher at
Purdue University. I am attempting to solve the structure of an 18kDa protein
domain using molecular replacement to obtain proper phasing (44% identical /
78% homologous to an existing structure). Crystals diffracted to roughly 2
angstroms and are in the space group P212121. There are 10,200 unique
reflections with 5.7 fold redundancy. I chose to make an R(free) set containing
10% of the reflections so that I will have just over 1000 in the set.

After failing to obtain a valid solution from Phaser and Molrep, I turned to
BALBES which was able to successfully perform the molecular replacement and
give me final R/R(free) values of 0.3/0.34. However, I noticed the MTZ file
that BALBES gave me contained an R(free) set of 5% containing only 500
reflections. I was wondering why BALBES changed the percentage of reflections
pegged for the R(free) set. Is there a way to prevent BALBES from changing your
R(free) fraction size? Also, is 500 reflections enough for an R(free) set? I
had previously been told that R(free) should contain between 1000-1500
reflections. Please let me know. Thank you.

Greg Costakes
PhD Candidate
Department of Structural Biology
Purdue University
Hockmeyer Hall, Room 320
240 S. Martin Jischke Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907