We see BME adducts in all of our estrogen receptor structures, though we don't
always put them in the models. Sometimes we only see one or two atoms of the
adduct, and in others it is completely ordered. We only see it on the solvent
accessible cysteines. We do it on purpose. We used to treat the protein with
iodoacetic acid to generate uniform modification of the cysteines, but then we
realized we could get then same homogeneity with 20-50mM BME.

Kendall Nettles