1.  No you cannot use your old stereo emitter.  The 3D Vision Emitter is
required for stereo on 120 Hz LCD monitors.  You will also need new shutter
glasses from Nvidia, but these some with the emitter.  I'm not sure the
reason, but I'd guess that the older emitter can't transmit the signal at
the correct frequency to get 60 Hz to each eye.

On a side note, consider which operating system you are running on the
system to be used for stereo.  You'll need the 3-pin stereo connector if you
want to do stereo in Linux.  For Windows it isn't required.  Some computers
that Dell and other manufacturers sell with FX3800 cards don't have one
built in, and you will need to buy an adapter that hooks into the video card
to provide the port.

2.  The normal "3D Vision" system uses IR signals to communicate between the
emitter and the shutter glasses.  "3D Vision Pro" uses RF signals for
communication between the glasses and the emitter and has a longer range and
doesn't require line-of-sight like the IR system (hence the hefty price
difference you've noticed).  I don't believe the glasses from the normal "3D
Vision" kit are compatible with the "3D Vision Pro" system due to the
difference in signaling systems, but I haven't tested this.  If you're going
to be sitting in front of a monitor doing modeling and don't have alot of IR
interference in the same room, the normal "3D Vision" version will suffice
for your needs.  "3D Vision Pro" is more geared toward having large meeting
rooms and presentation halls equipped so everyone in the room can view 3D on
a large screen driven by a 120 Hz DLP projector.

3. I don't wear prescription eye glasses, but I do have long modeling
sessions without any discomfort wearing these.  They come with several
inter-changable nose-pieces so you can pick the one that fits you most
comfortably.

--
Jim Fairman, Ph D.
Post-Doctoral Fellow