A postdoctoral position is available immediately in the group of
Ethan Merritt at the University of Washington - Seattle.

This project involves the structure-based design and development of
drugs targeting disease caused by eukaryotic parasites.  It combines
crystal structure determination done in the Merritt Lab with synthetic
chemistry and biological assays against the target parasites carried
out by collaborating UW groups.

The current focus of the project is to further develop a set of lead
compounds that we have determined to have nanomolar activity against
Toxoplasma and Cryptosporidium.  Our goal is to modify these lead
compounds to optimize their efficacy against the target parasites while
maintaining their non-toxicity in humans.  We hope over the next
several years to bring these compounds to the point of initial
clinical trials.  Crystallographic work will include structure
determination of homologous proteins from related parasites, which
may allow us to expand the project to target additional diseases.
Two recent papers from this project provide additional information:
  Ojo et al., Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 17:602 (2010)
  Murphy et al., ACS Med. Chem. Letters 1:331 (2010)

The Merritt Lab is part of the Biomolecular Structure Center (BMSC)
at the University of Washington School of Medicine. The BMSC provides
a collaborative environment that brings together crystallographers,
computational chemists, and synthetic chemists.  We also collaborate
closely with UW groups in the departments of Chemistry, Global Health,
and Tropical Medicine.

Email inquiries and applications to <merr...@u.washington.edu>.
Please enclose a CV, a summary of research interests and previous
crystallographic experience, and contact information for three people
who might provide a reference letter or recommendation.

--
Ethan A Merritt
Merritt Lab web page               http://skuld.bmsc.washington.edu