James, could you please give more information about where and/or how you obtained the
relationship "sigma(I)/I = 2*sigma(F)/F"?  A different equation,
sigma(I)=2*F*sigma(F), can be derived from sigma(I)^2 = (d(I)/dF)^2 * sigma(F)^2.  I
understand that that equation is based on normal distribution of errors and has numerical
problems when F is small, so there are other approximations that have been used to
convert sigma(I) to sigma(F).  However, none that I've seen end up stating that
sigma(F)=0.5.  Thanks.  Ron