Hi Francis,
Once I had asked Pavel Afonine the same questions and these were his
suggestions but most of these can be implemented in phenix...

I guess there is no general/unified procedure to do this, and in most of
cases the tools and outcomes vary case by case.
Some general points:
- Removing parts of model is unlikely to improve the map simply because this
makes model even more incomplete. The main purpose of computing the omit map
is not to improve the overall map but to verify the atoms in question.
- Typically, the density appears weak because the signal is buried in noise.
For example, we do not see H atoms in 2A resolution maps not because the
information about them is not there (note, H atoms being weak scatterers
contribute the most to low resolution reflections - similarly to bulk
solvent, and their contribution to high resolution data approaches zero),
but because the model quality and therefore noise at that resolution such
that it hides hydrogens' signal. However, we do see H atoms at high
resolution (say 1A and higher) not because of presence of high resolution
reflections, but because the model quality is typically high and the noise
level is below the hydrogens' signal.
Having said this, one possible way of improving your "weak density" is to
improve the model as much as you can: make sure you modeled all alternative
conformations, all solvent, etc.
- B-factor sharpening may help, although keep in mind that it will enhance
the noise too.
- Other options: kick maps, omit kick maps, b-factor sharpened kick maps...
- You can try GrowDensity method (Acta  Cryst. (1997). D53, 540-543) which
is available as phenix.grow_density. This is still under (slow) development,
so if you decide to go this route than I can help you with the details.
Pavel.

HTH,
Shya

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Francis E Reyes <francis.re...@colorado.edu