Hi Nian,

It can be a number of things - but typically, air getting into the
column, or a leaky seal somewhere letting it dry out.

Switching from 150mM NaCl to 20% EtOH directly shouldn't cause a problem.

The reason I suggest it is that I have had the same situation as
described in the original post (protein comes off across entire volume
of SEC column elution) and it turned out the column had a leak and had
dried out in places.

Repacking the column solved the problem.

Cheers,

Dave
============================
David C. Briggs PhD
Father, Structural Biologist and Sceptic
University of Manchester E-mail:
david.c.bri...@manchester.ac.uk
http://manchester.academia.edu/DavidBriggs (v.sensible)
http://xtaldave.wordpress.com/ (sensible)