Dear Jacob,

agree, it's a mess. From what I read, the glutataldehyde concentration should
be low (<0.01%) and the x-linked complex that you get should not occur in high
salt conditions (reasoning that 1.2M KCl would break the average complex
apart). Have seen papers where more selective zero length crosslinkers have
been used - the Pierce catalog used to have lots of them - it seems it boils
down to the same problem, eventually you will find one that "works" but you
will need independent evidence to convince yourself.

I typically make really nice MW size ladders with my monomeric negative control
proteins, though.

Best, Herwig

Herwig Schüler, PhD
PI, Structural Biochemistry