Hi,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Hena Dutta <hdutt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sabuj,
>
> Thanks for all your answers. I finally came to this plan. Please tell me if
> I am doing anything wrong.
>
> Option 1.
>
> HP Workstation Z400 FL998U8#ABA Desktop PC - Intel Xeon W3550 3.06GHz, 8GB
> DDR3, 160GB 10k RPM HDD, DVDRW, NVIDIA Quadro FX3800, Windows 7 Professional
> 32-bit ----$1000

> Acer HN274H bmiiid 27" Class Widescreen 3D LED HD Monitor - 1920 x 1080,
> 16:9, 100000000:1 Dynamic, 1000:1 Native, 120Hz, 2ms, HDMI, DVI-D, VGA,
> NVIDIA 3D Glasses, Energy Star ----$670

I highly doubt this monitor will work in Linux unless you buy the 3d
vision kit which comes with the emitter that you can hook into the 3
pin mini din port of your quadro (btw your quadro 3800 requires an
extra 3 pin mini din bracket, more on that below).

This monitor has a built in emitter that works with the pair of nvidia
(these are not generic active shutter goggles) 3d vision goggles it
comes bundled with :

http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the-27-acer-hn274h-3d-vision-ready-lcd-monitor/

...but does not have an input for the 3 pin mini din coming off a
proper quadro. The latest nvidia driver for linux still mentions that
you need the 3 pin mini din for nvidia 3d vision stereo in linux:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/280.13/README/xconfigoptions.html

####
Option "Stereo" "integer"

    10  NVIDIA 3D Vision mode for use with NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses.
The NVIDIA 3D Vision infrared emitter must be connected to a USB port
of your computer, and to the 3-pin DIN connector of a Quadro graphics
board (based on G8xGL or higher GPU) before starting the X server.
Hot-plugging the USB infrared stereo emitter is not yet supported.
Also, 3D Vision Stereo Linux support requires a Linux kernel built
with USB device filesystem (usbfs) and USB 2.0 support. Not presently
supported on FreeBSD or Solaris.
####

Having just the USB connected to the emitter still only works in
windows with the standard emitter. I also know that the windows nvidia
driver explicitly checks to see what sort of monitor you have before
enabling 3d vision (see the nvidia 3d vision wizard in the nvidia
control panel), i.e. that's probably why you don't need a USB cable
connected from your computer to this particular monitor where the
emitter is housed in the bezel.

So, basically if you decide to go with this monitor you'll still
probably need to get the 3D vision kit with the proper emitter and
you'll also need to get the 3 pin mini din bracket for your Quadro
3800 since it doesn't have the 3 pin mini din output:

There's a forum about it here :

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=96163

which leads to this PNY part # 900-50762-0000-000 :

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=900-50762-0000-000&cid=17694678402912029306&ei=OoVzTvKqH6mExgXwi5HRAQ&ved=0CAkQgggwAA#scoring=tp

> Ofcourse I have to install linux. Do I need to buy anything else(say emiter
> or connector) for 3D stereo set up in linux distribution. What linux you
> like to suggest? I am familiar with open suse or ubuntu.

Either would be fine.

> Lenovo IdeaCentre K330B 7747-1GU Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-2600 3.40GHz,
> 8GB DDR3, 1.5TB HDD, DVDRW, ATI Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Home Premium
> 64-bit ----$750
>
> But, then I have to buy the right graphics card.

Yes.

i'd say the i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, uses less power too.

> If they are not big difference, I will go with the first one and increase
> the hard drive. What do you think?

Buy the 2nd one, get a quadro 3700, get the 3d vision kit, and if you
want a 120Hz 27" "LED" monitor, here's one :

http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-syncmaster-s27a750d-27-3d-led-lcd-monitor-16-9-2-ms-adjustable/223430191.html

that doesn't have a built in emitter which as mentioned above probably
isn't going to work in linux.

HTH,
Sabuj