Are you indeed referring to the oil-filled high voltage transformer core in
the older model generators? (Newer ones tend to use solid state voltage
multipliers). I recall that there were issues with those things that were
eventually traced to elevated humidity. Now, that was humidity around 80%
which should not be the case for most systems these days since most of us
seem to prefer humidity controlled environments (for the sake of the
cryostreams) but it might be worth checking some local leaks etc.
One more reason that the tank transformer might go bad would be inadequate
matching between power input and drain, especially high-drain situation
caused by an undetected high current (like a parasite current too weak to
cause arcing, but strong enough to damage transformer over time). Did
your/Rigaku's engineer check the voltages and currents in the tube tower? Do
you have the option to record currents while no one is attending the
instrument (in the even that the problem is intermittent)?

Artem