i wouldn't recoommend that. here is the info from somebody forwarded from our genetics department with regards to safety of that while back....

"Sybr is just as toxic/poisonous/harmful as ethidium bromide, only far more expensive. There have been very few tests concerning it's use up until now and therefore it should be treated with even more caution than ethidium bromide. Waste must be separated and processed by the company and use of Sybr in the lab must involve safety and care levels at least as stringent as with Ethidium bromide."

(not sure thow if it was SYBR-"safe"... safe must mean safe, right... in particular with chemical companies...)

Feel free to handle your gels as sloppy as you like (or eat them or whatever), but mind the other people's health in the lab. There are people who actually have to work with this stuff for decades. I would
advice following the safety instructions.

Tommi