Dear All,

Apologies for the off-topic question. I'm seeking suggestions on the best way to achieve an effective, but not over-harsh, chemical lysis of E coli expressing an oxygen-sensitive Fe-S protein. We need to lyse anaerobically but do not have access to a sonicator that we can use in the glove box. We have used a proprietary detergent mix in previous attempts but have not been overly impressed with the results- lots of protein (more than I would expect based on past experiences with related enzymes) remains in the pellet. I've seen literature protocols based on Triton (up to 1.2%) but am worried (perhaps without basis) that this might interfere with downstream steps (reconstituting the Fe-S cluster and possibly crystallisation). The protein is His-tagged.

Does anyone know a better way?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes

Jim

----------------------
Dr. James Spencer,
Lecturer in Microbiology
School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine
Medical Sciences Building
University of Bristol
University Walk
Bristol BS8 1TD